Explore the history of each home and compare photos from the early 1980s vs 2021.
This house was constructed sometime between 1898 and 1908. Before construction, the lot was the site of rear additions to the Traub Building at 926 N Alabama. Charles D. Meigs purchased the site from Traub in 1891. M.L. Meigs acquired the property and built the house, incurring a mechanics' lien in 1900. The house has not changed in form since construction. You might recall from discussion of the Traub Building that Meigs was State Superintendent of the Indiana Sunday School Union and editor of the publication Awakener.
This house was built sometime before 1866, possibly between 1863 and 1866, while the property was owned by Jesse Tomlinson. Between 1887 and 1898, while owned by owner-occupant Patrick Smith, the house gained an east wing, a rear porch and an "L" plan veranda. Smith, and his widow lived here until 1925. Another long-time occupant, Robert Quillen occupied the house from the 1940s until the 1980s.
This brick Italianate house was built for butcher Andrew Gass around 1864. Gass sold the property to Henry Hilker in 1870. Hilker was the gardener at the Indiana Blind Asylum, then located on the site of the American Legion Mall. By 1872, Hilker was the proprietor of Henry Hilker's City Flower Garden. He purchased the lot to the west, removed the houses, and constructed glass houses for this enterprise. Hilker's nephew Frank Saak continued to operate the florist business after Hilker's death in 1888. He then sold the house to Charles Sherman in 1894, who lived there until 1951. The house has changed very little except for the removal of the classical porch in the early 1970s. (Classical porch has since been restored.)
The two nearly identical apartment buildings were constructed sometime between 1899 and 1908. They occupy the plots of two former homes that were each 2.5 stories tall. The buildings sat vacant since 1985 until their rehabilitation in 1994-95 which included the removal of aluminum siding and the brick-pierced two-story porches. The formerly forest green and brown trim exterior was refreshed in 2021 with this grey and beige color scheme and lots of wood siding and trim replacement.