Explore the history of each home and compare photos from the early 1980s vs 2021.
Lewis Meier established a clothing manufacturing operation in 1883. Initially, he leased space for the business in William Buschmann's commercial building at 968-972 Fort Wayne Avenue. In 1895, Meier & Company built this three-story structure at 101 N Central, immediately north across St. Mary (10th) Street. For a time the building was connected to the Buschmann Block by a bridge at the third floor level driving storage for the rapidly expanding manufacture. The Meier & Company association with William Buschmann extended to the second generation with sons Louis and Charles Buschmann working for Lewis Meier. Charles Buschmann became president of the company expanding the operation into one of the largest clothing manufacturers in the city. He played a prominent role in Indianapolis business and social life, helping to found both the Union Manufactures of America and the Indianapolis Athletic Club. Photos from 1980s vs 2021.
The William Buschmann Block is one of the few remaining large Italianate commercial buildings in Indianapolis. It was one of the earliest large, commercial structure in highlights concentrated mixed-use St. Joseph neighborhood. William Buschmann was a Prussian who emigrated to Indianapolis in 1862 at the age of 28. He identified St. Joseph as a developing commercial/retail center when he was working and living in the area during the Civil War. In 1865 Buschmann was a saloon keeper on Fort Wayne Avenue. In 1866 he was associated with H. Severin grocery and grain dealer. Upon construction of the Block, Buschmann opened his own grocery and dry goods enterprise. Buschmann's business expanded rapidly. Buschmann was a successful business man. In addition to the Buschmann Block, he owned two similar commercial structures, several farms and Broad Ripple Park. He was also a prominent member of the Indianapolis German community; active at Zion German Lutheran Church and a number of local charitable organizations. By 1883 he was also leasing space to Louis Meier and Company, a clothing manufacturer with which he is sons Louis and Charles Buschmann were associated. In 1890 Meier & Company built a three-story structure to the immediate north across St. Mary (10th) Street that for a time was connected the Block by a third-story bridge. The residential space on the second and third floors of the structure were occupied form 1871 to 1895 by the Buschmann family (William Buschmann died in 1893). William Buschmann grocers continued to operate on site until 1939. Beginning in 1914 commercial spaces were leased to a variety of service and light manufacturing concerns. In the 1990s, the building is owned and occupied by Restoration Services, an architectural salvage and restoration construction company. It is currently owned by the Buschmann Grain Lofts HOA with condos above and commercial space on the main floor. Invoke Studio has operated there for about 10 years. Photo from 1985 vs 2021.
You know that awkward little wedge parking lot by Roberts Camera (220 E St. Clair)? It used to house the St. Clair Theatre, which opened in 1923 and existed until at least 1955. It reportedly had 1,090 seats, an organ and a small orchestra pit. The theater space extended into the area where Roberts Camera is but that west portion of the building was so heavily remodeled in the 1960s that it's hard to see how. If you look along Sahm St on the northern side of the businesses there, you can see the 1920s era detailing that used to be visible throughout the entire corner. All the buildings are nearly unrecognizable today.
(Source: Historic Indianapolis)
There is evidence that Stephen Fletcher was the first owner of this house that was constructed some years after the Civil War (c.1866-1873). This residence has been known as the Grover Annex since the construction of the apartment building in 1913. Painting is from 1979 vs image from 2022.