Explore the history of each home and compare photos from the early 1980s vs 2021.
The house was constructed sometime between 1916 and 1927 on the back lot of 1104 N Delaware. The main facade (south) has an unusual fenestration pattern.
Constructed sometime between 1866 and 1887, this house was substantially enlarged before 1898 to its present configuration. Long-time occupants were Elias and Anna Tramer from 1891 to the early 1940s. The Tramers were responsible for the expansion. Franklin and Florence Taylor resided here from 1946 to the late 1970s.
This cottage was constructed sometime between 1887 and 1898, possibly during the ownership of George and Lillian Burnham. The house enjoyed stable occupancy of Henry Davis from 1917 until the late 1920s.
The house is believed to have been constructed in 1883 as a one-story house while owned by John McQuiddy. The house was enlarged to two stories in 1895 by William and Minda Dye. By the 1950's, the house was no longer a single-family residence but became a multi-unit residential building. As an additional editor's note, the home was fully renovated in recent years and I was fortunate enough to get a tour. The home features incredible 12-foot ceilings on both floors.
This residence was constructed sometime between 1866 and 1887 for Irving Wallace, a prominent member of the Indianapolis insurance industry. He was best known for his work as Vice President of Rough Notes, the weekly trade journal of the industry that he helped establish in 1877. Originally a one and a half story structure, the house was enlarged to its present height and configuration sometime before 1898.
Constructed sometime between 1868 and 1887 for owner Henry Cook, the house was enlarged sometime between 1887 and 1893 with the addition of the east wing. Dr. Michael G. Dean owned and occupied the house from 1913 to the late 1940s. The house has enjoyed stable occupancy with Lovall Emerson throughout the 1950s and Max and Nancy Ortega from the late 1960s until 2020 (thus the editor's addition of their name to the house). It still had a working gas light when they moved in. The home is currently undergoing renovations under new ownership with plans to resell.
This house was constructed by David Reynolds as a one-story cottage sometime between 1866 and 1887. It was substantially enlarged with a second story around 1895 by Gideon Hunt.
Constructed in 1908, this Italianate frame building housed five apartments on the second floor and a variety of businesses on the first floor, including a bakery, a grocery, restaurant and drug store in 1913. Christopher Rafert had this building constructed as he had other buildings in the district. It was extensively renovated in 1993-1994. The Ortega family (235 E 11th) owned this building as well as the home at 231 E 11th St. They donated both properties to Indiana Landmarks in the 1980s so that protective covenants would be in place when they were resold. Max operated "Max's Barber Shop" out of the corner unit for nearly two decades.
This home stood along the 300-block of 11th Street. The house was first documented on 1898-1913 Sanborn maps but was much older. It is thought the home was built in the 1870s and relocated to this lot from somewhere nearby between 1908-1915. Sadly, this house was completely destroyed by fire in December 1994.